Spider Veins are the tiny, web-like veins that appear on the body when the veins fail to properly circulate the blood. They often appear as small red, blue or purple veins on the surface of the thighs, calves and ankles. Unlike varicose veins, they won't bulge away from the skin, but can also be very unsightly.
Spider veins can appear in a variety of patterns on the skin, but often take one of the following three forms:
- Spider shape, with a group of veins radiating outward from a central point.
- Branch-like pattern, like the branches of a tree
- Linear pattern, appearing as thin separate lines
The causes of spider veins may vary, but often include:
- Poor circulation, especially poor leg circulation
- Lack of movement/ sedentary lifestyle
- Family history of developing spider veins
- Hormones and pregnancy
- Standing on your feet for long periods of time
- Weight gain
Any of these risk factors can lead to the development of spider veins in the legs.
Recommended Treatments for Spider Veins
Wearing support hosiery from brands like Shape to Fit is the best way to treat and may prevent spider veins. Other spider vein prevention and treatment tips include:
- Avoid standing for long period of time
- Elevate the legs when possible
- Exercise on a regular basis to increase circulation
- Try not to wear high heels for long periods of time
- Avoid crossing the legs at the knee
- Eat a low-salt diet rich in high-fiber foods
- Control weight gain
- Stop smoking
Shape to Fit Products for Spider Veins
Shape to Fit Support Hosiery helps treat and may prevent spider veins. Try any variety today, including:
- Shape to Fit Women's Support Hosiery
- Shape to Fit Women's Support Socks
- Shape to Fit Men's Support Socks
Shop online for Shape to Fit products today.